Monday, May 3, 2010

Deepika Padukone - "I'm a Strong Girl"


Deepika Padukone has something to talk about everything. Here is what she has to say about her comedy flick, bikini, break-ups and coffee dates


How was it shooting your first out and out comedy, Housefull? I remember laughing my guts out while watching Heyy Babyy. I'd decided that whenever I do a comedy film, it will be with Sajid Khan. Comedy is one of the toughest genres for an actor. I was quite nervous for the first few days of the shooting. Actually, comedy is not just about making funny expressions, it's about timing and being spontaneous. In that sense, there was very little acting. I just said my lines as naturally as possible.

Are you apprehensive that Housefull might just be remembered as the film with three girls in a bikini? Really, I haven't even given this a thought. Half of the film is set on the beaches of Italy, so swimwear was an integral part of the script. It's not just a gimmick.

All three of you must have wanted to be the hottest babe in the bikini. What was the vibe on the set? Well, I never worry about what others do. I focused on what was required of me and made sure that I was in shape. Aki Narula styled the three of us. Sajid and Aki chose the colours of our bikinis and we just went ahead and shot the scene.

The shoot must have been a harrowing experience since you were suffering from malaria at the time. Well, the London schedule was unforgettable if nothing else. I got a fever which I didn't take seriously. After a week, finally, we got an Indian doctor who took a blood test and diagnosed it as malaria. Sajid was kind enough to give me a two-day break so that I could recover. But I felt horribly guilty to keep the unit on hold so I told Sajid that I'll work and retire in my vanity van between shots. We managed somehow. But there are certain portions in the film where I'm looking very skinny and pale, which was due to malaria.

In a recent show, your Housefull co-stars poked some nasty jokes at your expense. Why haven't you reacted? Well, I was aware that Sajid was planning a show like this but I wasn't told what they'll say. I haven't seen the show but I have heard that they did make fun of me. I know their sense of humour, so I'm sure it was all in good humour. There is no point in getting upset with Sajid because he means well.

It can't all be hunky dory with Housefull? Well, if you ask me to pick a bone with Sajid, then it'll be that he made Arjun Rampal play my brother in the film. That said, I'm glad that Farah (Khan) gave me an opportunity to be Arjun's wife in Om Shanti Om. At least I could live my childhood fantasy on screen.

It has been a tough year for you, personally. What lessons have you learnt? As a person, I try to learn from everything that happens. I'm not the kind to sit and brood. I do take my time to understand why what happened has happened. Once I have understood that, I move on. That's what I've done.

Post your break-up, you've been on a signing spree. A case of being back with a vengeance? I've heard that one from a couple of friends. Let's just say that's me. I've taken time to find my feet in the industry. I'm becoming confident with each film. I think I've found myself now and feel more settled here.



How was the coffee date with Shammi Kapoor? It's definitely the best date I've ever been on. I must say, Shammi Uncle sure knows how to ask a girl out. Our boys should learn something from him. I spent three hours chatting with him over a meal. Now he has asked me out again on twitter, which is again a good sign.



Recently Imran Khan posted a picture of you carrying him on your back. Did you really do it or was the picture morphed? Yes, I really carried him on my back. It was during the shoot of Break Ke Baad. Come on, it's no big deal. I'm a strong girl - mentally, physically and emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment